Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
What is the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument?
The TKI delivers insight, empowerment and resolution to anyone involved in conflict. By identifying alternative conflict styles, it helps people reframe and defuse conflict, creating more productive results.
The TKI questionnaire identifies five distinct conflict styles and provides people with conflict-management solutions. By helping individuals understand their default approach in conflict, it encourages the exploration of alternative ways to handle different situations.
What does the TKI measure?
The TKI measures preferences for five different styles of handling conflict, called conflict modes. These styles/modes are described along two dimensions:
- Assertiveness, or the extent to which a person tries to satisfy their own concerns; and
- Cooperativeness, or the extent to which they try to satisfy the concerns of another person.
What can the TKI be used for?
The TKI is a useful tool for:
- Conflict management
- Effective decision-making
- Interpersonal skills development
- Influencing and negotiating skills development
- Team development
- Line manager coaching
- Executive coaching